Hi, my loves!
I hope you are all doing well and that you are happy, healthy and feel loved, wherever in the world you are.
This was a post that was requested by a lot of people, and, well, I try to give the people what they want.
So, moving on.
Self-Care, what is it?
According to Oxford Dictionary, self-care is:
- The practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress.
- ”expressing oneself is an essential form of self-care’’
“Protecting one’s own well-being and happiness”
In short, self-care is doing things that are going to enhance your well-being, protect your peace and make you happy.
There are a TON of self-care ideas out there, so, I took it upon myself to compile a short, sweet and simple list of simple ways to self-care and improve your overall well-being.
Without further adieu, here are my “8 Simple Ways to Self-Care”:
- Learn to say “NO”.
- This is A LOT easier said than done. Take it from a veteran people pleaser. If you spend so much time being a “yes” man, you take away from paying attention to what YOU NEED, to what you want and quite frankly, it feels good to just say NO. Always doing what others need you to do and when they need you to do it for them can easily leave you exposed to hurt and a lot of manipulation. Saying no to people, doesn’t just apply to friends, family, or even bae, it also applies to your boss at work
- Yes, you can say no to your boss. It is perfectly okay and it will not get you fired. If anyone fires you for taking a self-care day, well, throw the whole job away. If you have always been reliable and done what your supervisor needed you to do and when they needed you to do it,they will respect that you need a day to regroup. You do not always have to be there all the time. Let someone else walk a mile in your shoes at the job for a change.
- One of the things I love about my job and my field is that they stress us on self-care days. They aren’t one of those companies that work you like a dog until you are burnt out and cannot function anymore. Burn out is real and they want to minimize their employees from being burned out as much as they can.
- Spend some time alone with yourself.
- You would be surprised how many people don’t even like being in their own company. Isn’t that sad? There are people who really just do not like being by themselves. So, what do they do? Surround themselves with other people who don’t like their own company and be in dysfunction.
- You don’t like you so you want to be with someone who doesn’t like themselves and hope that something good can come from it. How does that work? Let me know.
- But, I digress, I did not come to step on anyone’s necks. I came to help. Moving right along.
- Ask for help when needed.
- I cannot stress this point enough. If you feel like everything is crashing down on you and you cannot shoulder that weight alone, please please ask someone you trust wholeheartedly to help. Even if you aren’t under stressful times, ask for help.
- Maybe you are working on a new project or need help with a new idea, get connected with other people. It is not what you know, but WHO you know. Remember that.
- Unplug from social media.
- In today’s day and age it is imperative that you take a day to be in the dark. Because, social media will be the death of you. It will make you think that you need to strive for things that really don’t even serve a purpose. It will leave you unhappy, and unsatisfied with yourself and your life. It makes you think that you are not good enough the way you are so we strive to be like people who are really just as sad and miserable. But, they make it seem like they have the perfect life on Instagram.
- So, I challenge you to take a day, where you have no Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or Twitter. People will still be doing the same thing when you return. The tutorials will still be there. The workout videos will still be there, the memes will still be there, Kim K will still be half-naked and Kylie will still be posting lip kits. You will not miss anything, I promise you. Take a day.
- Splurge on something.
- TREAT YO SELF, HUNNY. Because, I am pretty sure you deserve it. Take yourself out to a fancy dinner. Buy yourself that cute dress or those poppin’ pair of shoes. As hard as you work, you deserve something nice.
- Write a love letter to yourself.
- I know some people are like “what, why would I do that?”. But, no one can hype you like you hype you. Write yourself a love letter and tell yourself what you love about you. Maybe you love how emotional you are, or how blunt you are. Maybe you love the way your hair curls up, or the texture of it. Maybe you love the way you can create. Whatever it is, write about it. Seal it in an envelope, and open it when you are ready. You will be glad you did.
- Get 8 Hours of sleep.
- It is a proven fact that the body needs AT LEAST 7-9 hours of sleep to be able to function properly. I put 8 because it is the magic number, not too little and not a lot but just right. You will wake up feeling brand new. You owe it to yourself to be your absolute best, so, get that 8 hours in, beautiful.
- Take a bubble bath.
- On my life, a bubble bath will have you feeling so content with the world. It feels like all of your problems dissolve in the bath.
- Light some candles, put on a good vibe playlist and just close your eyes and relaaxxxxx.
- Allow yourself to be swept away by all of that soapy bliss.
- Bonus tip: Add some pink Hawaiian epsom salt and you will feel like a completely different person. I promise you.
That is all I have for you beautiful people for now.
Stay tuned for next week, because I will be dropping a “10 Interesting Things to know about Me” and a Teaser Tuesday. The week after that will be a special post for my 1 year anniversary.
Until Next Time,